My goal is to raise $9,490 for breast cancer research - a dollar for every day my mother, Lorraine Raimondo, battled breast cancer. I'm driving across the country raising funds for every mile I drive.

Saturday, May 20, 2006

Joshua Tree, CA


May 19, 2006
Miles:
Funds Raised: $195.00

Spent the morning packing up the car for the big trip. Not being someone who regularly drives, I came to the realization that having a car is like having a giant purse! Said goodbye to the family (that's Dad, sister Beverly and niece Jasmine pictured above) in San Diego and picked up my college pal, Sharyl Holtzman, from the Solana Beach, CA train station to begin the trip east. She came with a completely pink care package filled with dashboard worthy trinkets to deck out the car. Our destination; Joshua Tree Musical Festival. On the way we found a great road side burger truck, Nessy’s – on route 15 – which was packed with burley men and the turkey burgers were as big as my head. I don’t think I need to eat until Sunday.
The music fest is on a campsite out in the desert. Think of it as Burning Man Jr. Plenty of organic food, flowy apparel and good music. And, these people’s hula hoop skills put me to shame! Favorite bands were Al Howard and the K-Z-3 Orchestra and Kinky.
Got my first sponsor! Guayaki Yerba Mate – a natural energy drink. Very tasty! I do recommend it– not too sweet- refreshing. (By the way, I have no motivation to say anything good about a product if I don’t really mean it. Nobody is paying me, they just hooked me up with a nice care package. But I wouldn’t take it if I didn’t like it.) Check out more in the sponsor section or at www.guayaki.com.
After the fest we headed to the ultimate roadside joint, Pappy and Harriet’s Pioneertown Palace. We arrived just as Fifty Cent Haircut was taking their gear off the stage. Met some great guys from Massachusetts, Jeremy (aka “worm” and the biggest Graham Parson’s fan I’ve every met), Bob and Steve. Jeremy promptly made a donation in honor of his aunt. Overall a great night!
We headed back to the Desert High Motel which I highly recommend! Good price, very, very clean and free internet access! It’s right on route 62 if you are ever heading this way.
Well, gotta run, it’s Saturday morning and I don’t want to miss the reenactment of the robbery of the Pony Express in Pioneertown at 10:30! Check out more photos below!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home