My goal is to raise $9,490 for breast cancer research - a dollar for every day my mother, Lorraine Raimondo, battled breast cancer. I'm driving across the country raising funds for every mile I drive.

Saturday, May 27, 2006

Ely, NV to Truckee, CA


May 27
Miles Driven: 360
Funds Raised: $50
Chipmunks dodged: 2


I left Ely, NV bright and early and spent most of my day on Highway 50, self proclaimed “The Loneliest Road in America.” I’m not sure I felt all that lonely, but it sure was boooooring!!! Here’s what it looks like:

OK, so at first glance you think, not bad, some interesting desert, a bit of mountain. OK, well stare at that picture for another 5 hours and then get back to me on whether it’s boring or not. At one point I seriously considered placing a pillow against the window and resting my head to the side. I quickly came to my senses, as this would surely lead to a nap. However, if your car alignment was good, you could probably get in a nice 30 minute snooze and not veer off the road.
Early on I stopped in Eureka, NV. Nice little town that was once booming. Between 1873 and 1896 it produced more than $50,000,000 worth of silver and lead. In 1880 the population was 8,000. They had an Opera House, 5 fire stations, 2 militia and 9 graveyards. By 1950 the population dropped to 500. They have a good museum in town run by Christine Knudsen. (Photo below).
Christine Knudsen and her Mom, Lela Shepherd

After Eureka, it was pretty much highway, highway and more highway. I did run into a hail storm and then some rain. This just meant I had to go slower and take more time on this tiresome road.

Right before you get to Fallon, NV there’s a turn off to some sand dunes. Well, this is quite the hotspot for ATV fanatics on Memorial Day weekend. The place was packed with campers, trucks and ATV’s. (All Terrain Vehicles). I tell ya, boy did I stick out like a sore thumb with that silly PT Cruiser! This one guy with the confederate flag on his ATV kept circling me suspiciously. There were quite a few confederate and skull and cross bone flags. Gee whiz, I certainly wasn’t in NYC anymore.
those dots on the dunes are ATV's


One of these vehicles is not like the others....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home