My goal is to raise $9,490 for breast cancer research - a dollar for every day my mother, Lorraine Raimondo, battled breast cancer. I'm driving across the country raising funds for every mile I drive.

Friday, May 12, 2006

My Story

Soon after my mother, Lorraine Raimondo’s death from breast cancer last August, I left my job at MTVN. I decided to make the most of my new found freedom by fulfilling one of my life’s passions, travel. After spending some time in Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodian and Ecuador, I headed to my parents house in San Diego to visit my Dad.

While in California, I took a drive out into the desert to join my friend Kevin at Coachella. Along that ride, I was reminded of the beauty of my own country and the wonderful road trips of my childhood.

In fact, it was originally my parents who gave me the travel bug. Each year while growing up, our family of 6 would load into the car and head out on the highway taking in every tourist destination along the way. Every morning (and I mean early morning) my dad would come into our hotel room armed with every tourist brochure from the lobby. We saw the most beautiful of places and some wacky roadside novelties too. I’ve been to every state (and every wax museum!) in the continental US except three (Oregon, Montana and North Dakota).

So, while on that desert drive 2 weeks ago, I came up with the decision to drive, instead of fly, back to NYC and to raise funds along the way to support breast cancer research.

My drive is in memory of my mother and a tribute to all the women currently fighting breast cancer, including my good friend Nancy Mack, whose home will be a stop along the way. (As will Oregon, Montana and North Dakota.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home